Saturday May 13th, you should head on down to the Reilly Arts Center for the Best of British! Experience two legendary tributes in one night! “Highway to Hell” the ultimate ACDC tribute show and “Absolute Queen”. WIND FM Rocks the Reilly with this night to remember. This event will be held on May 13th, and Lobby doors open at 6:30 PM. Tickets range from $15 to $30, you can buy your tickets online Here. Come enjoy a night of great classic rock, tasty drinks and of course supporting the art community here in lovely Ocala! What better way is there to spend your Saturday night than listening to amazing music?
Ocala’s Music scene has been thriving since the early 90’s, with it’s ska, punk, metal, and country music scenes all having noteworthy local bands that have a strong connection to the crowd they play to. But none have made it quite as big as A Day To Remember (ADTR). ADTR was formed back on 2003 after all of them playing in separate bands. They began touring almost immediately and selling their self-released, independent album “Halos for Heros, Dirt for the Dead” which released in 2004. After a lot of hard work and dedication from the members, and a lucky AIM conversation message to a member of Victory Records, The band started to soar far out of their local bubble and were releasing hit records and touring with the likes of The Devil Wears Prada and Alesana. They’ve come a long way since then, and after selling smashing records, touring multiple countries, and even a lawsuit with Victory Records, it looks like their career is still on the rise.
Their most recent local award will be on saturday, March 18th when the city of Ocala will be giving ADTR the key the city, and having a concert to boot! you can get more information here.
Enjoy Strawberries? Enjoy Festivals? If you do enjoy them, this festival is perfect for you and the family! This saturday go and enjoy the Annual Habbitat strawberry festival, with it’s fresh strawberries, local booths, music, art, and fun for everyone. There will be plenty to do and see throughout the day, all for the low cost of free entry! Check out their website and put aside the day for this wonderful event!
The Habitat Strawberry Festival will happen this Saturday, March 4, 2017 at the McPherson Complex, 601 SE 25th Avenue. Ocala from 9 am to 5 pm. Find more information here.
- Kalimba: Also known as a Mbira or Thumb Piano, is a group of metal strands that are arranged in a row above a wooden board or box.They can range in size from hand-held to piano sized, and are often played with the thumbs. Here’s an example.
- Hang: A Hang drum is a metal dome, with indented sides to produce different notes. It looks similar to a Flying Saucer and sounds just as alien! Here’s an example.
- Fotoplayer: The American Fotoplayer is a contraption similar to a Player Piano, that makes a wide range of noises and sound effects, and was used often for silent movies and cartoons. Here’s an example.
- Erhu: The Erhu is a Chinese violin that stands upright and has only one string. It’s bending sounds almost sound like it’s playing the sound of the wind. Here’s an example.
- Jouhikko: Also known as the Bowed Lyre, this Finnish instrument is as old as the civilization itself. Played upright between the legs, it sounds almost like a fiddle. Here’s an example.
These instruments are unique and incredible. If we’ve inspired you to go searching for an awesome instrument for yourself, check in our musical instruments section and see if you can’t find the right one for you!