- Kalimba: Also known as a Mbira or Thumb Piano, is a group of metal strands that are arranged in a row above a wooden board or box.They can range in size from hand-held to piano sized, and are often played with the thumbs. Here’s an example.
- Hang: A Hang drum is a metal dome, with indented sides to produce different notes. It looks similar to a Flying Saucer and sounds just as alien! Here’s an example.
- Fotoplayer: The American Fotoplayer is a contraption similar to a Player Piano, that makes a wide range of noises and sound effects, and was used often for silent movies and cartoons. Here’s an example.
- Erhu: The Erhu is a Chinese violin that stands upright and has only one string. It’s bending sounds almost sound like it’s playing the sound of the wind. Here’s an example.
- Jouhikko: Also known as the Bowed Lyre, this Finnish instrument is as old as the civilization itself. Played upright between the legs, it sounds almost like a fiddle. Here’s an example.
These instruments are unique and incredible. If we’ve inspired you to go searching for an awesome instrument for yourself, check in our musical instruments section and see if you can’t find the right one for you!