In 2009 and 2010 Toyota recalled several of its vehicles for issues such as sticking gas pedals (2.3 million vehicles recalled) and floor mat entrapment (5.4 million vehicles recalled). Furthermore, there were ABS reprogramming issues affecting Toyota Prius and some Lexus models resulting in a 150,000 recall. Buying a fixed recall car could save you a good amount of money, but be careful before handing over your money.
How To Buy Safely
- Always get a vehicle history report, which will tell you if there are any recalls on the vehicle and if there have been any major collisions which may have resulted from a defect. You could also get written proof from the seller that the work involving the recall has been done. 80% of the recalled vehicles were fixed in a nine-month period, with the costs covered by Toyota. However, about 1.55 million used Toyota cars were not fixed.
- Do not buy from owners who have ignored the recall notice. This shows mechanical neglect and could also be an indication of other hidden problems in the car.
- Use the recall to your advantage. Mention the recall to the owner and lower the sticker price by about 5%.
- If the car has not been taken in for recall fixing yet, you could try to knock $200 of the asking price and take it to the garage yourself. Also, check the price the seller is asking for against Kelley Blue Book.
- It is best to let a qualified mechanic look at the car before you buy it.
Which Toyota Were Recalled?
- 2005-2010 Avalon
- 2010 Prius
- 2007-2010 Camry
- 2009-2010 RAV4
- 2009-2010 Corolla
- 2008-2010 Sequoia
- 2008-2010 Highlander
- 2005-2010 Tacoma
- 2009-2010 Matrix
- 2007-2010 Tundra
- 2004-2009 Prius
- 2009-2010 VENZA
For the latest information on recalled models, check the Toyota website. If the Toyota is not on the recall list, you need not have any safety concerns. Furthermore, the defects which caused the recall were easily fixed, making the cars safe once more. Buying a used Toyota recall is a good way to save money by buying a car that needs some repair but runs fine afterwards.
Find great deals on used Toyotas:
Free classifieds for Ocala, Florida.
White - 4 cylinder Variable 4dr Car
Gray - 6 cylinder Convertible
Obsidian Blue Pearl - Gray 6 cylinder 6-Speed Automatic 4D Sport Utility