Parrots make fascinating pets, and here are some fascinating facts about what makes these birds so special:
* Parrots come from forests in tropical zones in South America, Australia, New Guinea, Africa and Asia. They build nests in holes in trees, rocks or tunnels. Unfortunately many die on the way to the USA, and many species are threatened with extinction. The Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species (CITES) bans the sale of wild-caught parrots, however illegal trade continues.
Make sure you’re not contributing to the problem by always dealing with a local breeder.
* There are about 350 types of parrot. The largest species is the Hyacinth Macaw and can grow 40 inches from beak to tail. The smallest is the pygmy parrot which averages about 8 cm in length. Conures and Lories are the most affectionate with owners.
* Parrots can be left or right handed, holding their food in their preferred foot while they eat.
Popular parrot pets:
- Amazon parrots
Make sure you have the necessary space (size) and can tolerate the level of noise, some are noisier than others.
* The most returned parrot is the Moluccan cockatoo because it gets destructive if not given enough attention.
Parrots are monogamous and form close bonds with their mate, staying together even in the non-mating season. You need to have a pair that like each other and want to build a nest together. Many times, the pair doesn’t like each other. Settling down may take months. Nesting boxes and material can be bought from a pet store
Parrots and Talking
Parrots don’t have vocal chords, they make sound by pushing air out of their airway just like a trumpet. How to teach your parrot to talk.
Larger parrots such as Macaws and Cockatoos can live up to 75 years, while others live only 10 years. In the wild, parrots eat fruit, flowers, buds, nuts, seeds and insects.
Several household things that look harmless can in fact be deadly to parrots:
- Teflon and non-stick pans release dangerous chemicals if overheated.
- Lead paint
- Some types of household plants when ingested
- Bleach, insecticides, air fresheners and other sprays are harmful to their lungs, so is smoking nearby.
- Caffeine and chocolate
Where to Buy a Pet Parrot
Silver/Charcoal The down is $1,700 plus the taxes and tag fee, the payments are $300 a month, cash price is $6,600 plus the taxes and tag fee.